When performing surgery on the chest and lungs, it is important to be on the cutting edge of technology. If you are looking for the top procedures in thoracic surgery, you need to know more about Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS).
Thoracic surgery is the field of medicine that specializes in diseases of the chest and lungs. Traditional surgery in this area requires an incision of around 10-15 cm, the use of a chest spreader, and the cutting of the chest wall muscles. This procedures risks rib fracture and a somewhat lengthy recovery process. VATS is an alternative choice for thoracic surgery. With the help of a small camera, a well trained surgeon can effectively complete many of the same procedures that used to require traditional thoracic surgery.
At the West Coast Associates for Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery we are proud to offer VATS for a wide number of procedures. These include:
- Lobectomy and mediastinal lymph node dissection for lung cancer
- Wedge resection for solitary pulmonary nodules
- Wedge resection for pulmonary metastases
- Pneumonectomy for lung cancer
- Esophageal mobilization for esophageal cancer
- Thymectomy for Myasthenia Gravis
- Decortication for Empyema (infection with the pleural space)
- Lung volume reduction surgery for Emphysema
- Talc pleurodesis for recurrent benign or malignant pleural effusions
- Insertion of Pleurex catheters for recurrent effusions
- Bleb resection and mechanical pleurodesis for recurrent pneumothoraces
- Thoracic sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis
- First rib resection for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Heller myotomy for Achalasia.
If you are seeking any of these surgeries, or would like to speak to a VATS surgeon in Los Angeles about other surgical options, contact the West Coast Associates for Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery for a consultation. Dr. Mahtabifard and Dr. Fuller are dedicated to finding the most effective care for you. Call 310-776-6905 today.
Now learn more about video assisted thoracic surgery in Beverly Hills.